Critical violations involve factors that can directly lead to foodborne illness. Critical violations during recent restaurant inspections by the city of Independence are:
Church’s Chicken, 10610 E. 23rd St.S., inspected Nov. 19.
• Spray bottle of Spic and Span found on counter. This is not for use in food service.
• No employee on duty with an Independence food manager card. This is a repeat issue. A ticket may be issued to the general manager on the next occurance. One employee must obtain an Independence food manager card by Dec, 18.
Kobe Japanese Steakhouse, 19800 E. Valley View Parkway, inspected Nov 19.
• Two spray bottles of cleaner found hanging on rack above hibachi carts.
Master Wok, 4810 S. Arrowhead Drive, inspected Nov. 19.
• Sanitized water not available at cook line.
A Little Bar-B-Que Joint, 1101 W. U.S. 24, inspected Nov. 20. No critical violations.
Sonic Drive-In, 16909 E. U.S. 24, inspected Nov. 20. No critical violations.
Sonic Drive-In, 11707 E. U.S. 24, inspected Nov. 20. No critical violations.
Salty Iguana Mexican Restaurant, 17717 E. U.S. 40, inspected Nov. 21.
• Floor tiles in the prep area and on the cook line found missing/damaged. This is a repeat offense and must be corrected so that the floor is smooth washable and non-absorbent.
• End cap of wall by mop sink found with missing trim and damaged Fiberglas-reinforced plastic. This is a repeat offense and must be repaired to a smooth washable non-absorbent surface.
• Floor and shelving in dry stock found with debris.
• Floor of cook line found to be dirty.
Sam’s Southern Eatery, 11701 E. U.S. 24, inspected Nov. 21.
• Several bags of condiments found open in stock room. Condiments must be protected from contamination.
• Breading table found heavily soiled and tubs on lower shelf uncovered and heavily soiled.
• Three-compartment sink not set up. Dishes were being washed, individually rinsed and then placed on the shelf. Instructed employee on proper sink set up and warewashing procedures.
• Drawers of equipment noted not free of dust, dirt, food residue and other debris.
• Tomato slicer noted not being kept free of encrusted grease deposits and other soil accumulations.
• Sides and fronts of fryers noted with a very heavy grease buildup.
• Shelf below steam table and flat top grill found heavily soiled.
• Door of both walk-ins found soiled.
• Floors throughout the facility found with an extremely heavy buildup of dirt.
El Volcan Mexican Grill and Cantina, 17110 E. US 24, inspected Nov. 22. No critical violations.
Elite Cuisine, 20301 E. Missouri 78, inspected Nov. 22. No critical violations.
K & M Liquor & Tobacco, 4201 Blue Ridge Blvd., inspected Nov. 22. No critical violations.
McDonald’s, 18910 E. U.S. 40, inspected Nov. 22. No critical violations.
Minit Mart, 4208 S. Noland Road, inspected Nov. 22. No critical violations.
Pie Five Pizza Co., 18921 E. Valley View Parkway, inspected Nov. 22.
• Employee was observed attempting to put on gloves without first washing her hands.
• Sanitized water not available at prep area.
• Fly strip found being utilized in prep area.