Lake area exit poll favors Hawley, Hasty and no on gas tax bump

As voters casted ballots in the midterm election on Tuesday,  the Lake Sun went to the polls to ask voters about three items on this year’s ballot regarding the Missouri Senate race, the Camden County Presiding Commissioner’s race and Proposition D. 

Staff went to a poling location in Lake Ozark, Osage Beach and Camden County to conduct an exit poll after voters made their choices. The unscientific exit poll was anonymous for any voter who agreed to participate and a total of 60 respondents weighed in split between 20 at each location. 

Here is what some of the voters had to say on Nov. 6. 

In the Missouri Senate race between Republican Josh Hawley and Democrat Claire McCaskill, Hawley received 70 percent of the total vote with 42 votes while McCaskill took the remaining 30 percent with 18 votes. In Lake Ozark, Hawley captured16 tallies while McCaskill took four votes. In Osage Beach, Hawley had 13 votes while McCaskill had seven and the figures in Osage Beach were exactly the same in Camdenton.

As for Proposition D, a 10 cent increase in the gas tax from 17 cents to 27 cents by June 2022 to help fund the Missouri State Highway Patrol and road projects for MoDOT, about 63 percent of voters responded no overall and 37 percent responded yes. Camdenton had 15 no votes and five yes votes, Osage Beach had 11 no votes and nine yes votes and Lake Ozark had 12 no votes and eight yes votes. 

Last but not least, the Camden County Presiding Commissioner’s race featured 40 respondents split between 20 at each poling location in Osage Beach and Camdenton. Republican Greg Hasty captured about 78 percent of the total vote while about 23 percent went for Democrat Shari Gaddy. In  Osage Beach, Hasty had the support of 16 voters while Gaddy had four and Camdenton participants totaled 15 votes for Hasty while Gaddy received five. 

Election results will be presented in the Thursday, Nov. 8 Lake Sun print edition.