A plan to micro-surface Osage Beach Parkway West that was first considered last summer received final approval Feb. 1.

The project was originally bid in August 2017 with the intent of having the sealcoating and stripping done at the same time to avoid a patchwork appearance. The work is proposed from west of the Grand Glaize Bridge to Lazy Days Road, the dead end of the Parkway.

Approval of a low bid was on the agenda for the Sept. 7 board of aldermen meeting, but because only one bid was received the board rejected the bid and asked city staff to seek more than one bidder. The first bid by Vance Brothers of Kansas City was $448,242.17.

Public Works staff attempted to secure additional bidders for a Dec. 19 bid opening, and at least three companies showed interest. However, only one bid was received -- that from Vance Brothers at $445,157.40 -- a savings about $3,084.77.

The city used a cooperative purchasing agreement with MoDOT with the city's portion of the micro-sealing $298,013.40 and $56,816.65 for the pavement parkings for a total of $354,830.15. MoDOT's portion of the sealing and pavement markings totaled $90,327.25 for a total of $445,157.40.

Ultimately, the board voted to award the entire contract at $445,157 and move forward with a change order deducting MoDOT's portion of the total. Eventual out-of-pocket cost to the city should be $354,830.15.

Some board members were concerned that the city could be stuck with the entire amount if MoDOT doesn't come through with its share. However, city staff assured the board that MoDOT has given its verbal agreement.

The work will begin when weather is appropriate is must be done before Memorial Day. 

Pesky curbs

More than one alderman in recent months has shared concerns about challenging bumps left at entrances to several businesses after a sidewalk project was completed last summer on Osage Beach Parkway West.

The rollover curbs are at an angle steep enough to create a significant jolt when vehicles enter the businesses' parking lots. The board discussed if and how the problem curbs can be repaired without possible water damage to nearby businesses since the curbs are designed to deflect water.

City Attorney Ed Rucker was asked in December if the city could be held liable if the curb angle is reduced. He said after contacting several attorneys from around the state that the city can be held harmless if property owners impacted by the curbs sign a hold harmless agreement.

"What we'd do is require from individual property owners whose driveway is being changed a drainage agreement that releases the city from liability from the water issue," he explained. "The agreement signed by the property owners would be recorded against the chain of title so every subsequent purchaser of that property would know."

If the city decides to pursue repairing the problem curbs, he would draft a standard agreement for board consideration that would be used universally for each property owner without any ability to negotiate terms of the agreement from person to person, or property to property.

The board is expected to make a decision at a future board meeting.

Lee C. Fine

The board also approved a contract with Crawford, Murphy and Tilly, Inc., for design services for Phase 2 of taxiway improvements at Lee C. Fine Airport adjacent to the Lake of the Ozarks State Park off Highway 42.

Cost for the engineering services is $171,067.95 with the city responsible for 10 percent of the cost, or $17,106.80. MoDOT would assume the other 90 percent of the cost.

The FAA and MoDOT require the city to have an independent cost analysis completed if the cost exceeds $100,000.

Phase 2 involves demolition and reconstruction of Taxiways Alpha between Taxiway Bravo and Taxiway Charlie, and build Taxiway Alpha in a new location coincidental with the end of Runway 22.