The airport’s apron, or parallel taxi, is where a majority of the air show events are held and has deteriorated over the years, becoming a concern for jet aircraft.

In anticipation of more state and federal funding, the Camdenton Board of Aldermen approved an agreement with the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission on Tuesday for financial assistance to explore a design and overlay of the main apron at Camdenton Memorial Lake Regional Airport.

Through the Missouri State Block Program, an agreement for a grant was approved in the amount of $61,650 and requires a match of $6,850 of local transportation funds to fund the design work.

“While we have not formally received the grant funding for the apron overlay a grant of the design of this project has been approved by MoDOT,” according to a staff memo from City Administrator Jeff Hancock. “We anticipate that actual funding for the apron overlay work will come in the near future and that the overlay project would be constructed before the September 23, 2017 Air Show.”

The airport’s apron, or parallel taxi, is where a majority of the air show events are held and has deteriorated over the years, becoming a concern for jet aircraft.

“This is needed particularly as we get more and more jets,” Hancock said on Tuesday. “I think we’re fortunate to get this grant.”

The apron overlay, along with a 1,000-foot runway extension, are two of the main projects city officials and Lake Aviation Center have been discussing in an attempt to draw more jet traffic to the 192-acre airport located off Old Route 5.

The city is still in the process of acquiring all of the necessary land for the expansion using State Block Grant funding. The project was approved by Missouri Department of Transportation Aviation and the Federal Aviation Administration in 2012 using a 10-percent local match funding agreement - meaning state and federal officials would supply 90 percent of the cost while the city would cover the remaining 10 percent.

However, the city was recently informed that FAA’s Central Region is not approving any expansion project funding at this time, which is why officials approved to move forward with the apron overlay project.

"The project has been put on the STIP, they've agreed it needs to be done. Now the question is whether the money is available," Corey Luewerke, owner of LAC, told the Lake Sun in September. "They've frozen a lot of new projects and are more concerned with maintaining what they already have, but we've been told we're still getting the go-ahead because the project had already been approved."

Camdenton aldermen unanimously voted to approve the agreement which begins at the date the commission accepts the contract and goes through June 30, 2017.