“On behalf of the officers and members of the fire district, I want to extend sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. We are not releasing the name of the victim at this time,” said Fire Chief Dennis Reilly.

More details are being released on a fatal fire in Sunrise Beach that occurred in the overnight hours between Thursday and Friday.

According to a press release from Sunrise Beach Fire Protection District Chief Dennis Reilly, it is believed that a faulty wood stove caused the blaze that took the life of a Sunrise Beach area resident.

The Sunrise Beach department was called out to a house fire around 1:30 a.m. Friday, February 2, 2018 on Old Sunrise Acres Drive. The single-family dwelling had fire coming through the roof when firefighters arrived about 12 minutes after the alarm, stated Reilly. The fire was quickly brought under control but the body of a resident was discovered inside the home. 

“On behalf of the officers and members of the fire district, I want to extend sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. We are not releasing the name of the victim at this time,” Reilly said. 

As is the standard procedure, the State Fire Marshal’s Office is assisting with the investigation. 

The identity of the victim is still being held pending family notifications.

Reilly said that because both district fire houses were staffed at the time of the call, his department had sufficient personnel on scene quickly to do the initial attack on the fire. SBFPD was assisted by units from Mid-County, Gravois and Osage Beach fire departments. The second SBFPD fire house is staffed on an irregular schedule due to constraints in the number of personnel.

The SBFPD covers more than 60 square miles on and around Lake of the Ozarks in northern Camden and southern Morgan counties. The district has two staffed stations and 17 full-time firefighters. The district responds to more than 700 emergency calls annually, including medical and injury related incidents.