In an interview on Friday, Reilly said the fire was suspected to be accidental, believed to have been started by an electrical short in the pump house.

No injuries were reported as the occupants of a residential structure near Sunrise Beach were out of town when a pump house connected to the home caught fire Thursday morning.

According to Sunrise Beach Fire Protection District Chief Dennis Reilly, fire units were dispatched to Explorer Road at approximately 10:15 a.m. on December 28, 2017 and arrived to find a pump house fully involved with the fire extending into the connected vacation home. 

SBFPD firefighters were able to gain access to the roof and cut a vent hole to channel the fire upwards while assisting firefighters from Mid-County Fire Protection District, Gravois Fire Protection District and Northwest Fire Protection District gained access through the front door to extinguish the fire from below.

“The house and contents suffered significant damage,” according to short statement from SBFPD via Facebook on Thursday. “With the exception of the vent hole the roof and structure are still intact.”

In an interview on Friday, Reilly said the fire was suspected to be accidental, believed to have been started by an electrical short in the pump house.

SBFPD responded with three apparatus and three staff cards. Lake West EMS was also available on stand-by for assistance.