The Camdenton man charged with two counts of felony first degree murder, among six total felony charges, for the murders of a mother and her daughter has been assigned a new judge along with a new trial date.

The Camdenton man charged with two counts of felony first degree murder, among six total felony charges, for the murders of a mother and her daughter has been assigned a new judge along with a new trial date.

Steven Ray Endsley, 54, was arrested on Sept. 3, 2016 for the murders of 61-year-old Teresa A. Jackson and her 27-year-old daughter Danielle M. Smith that occurred on Aug. 29, 2016. Endsley was a neighbor of the women who lived in a trailer park near Camdenton on Floyds Drive off of South Business Route 5.

Originally scheduled for trial in May 2017, a change of venue from Camden to Laclede County as well as a recusal by Judge Stan Moore was granted. The new trial has been scheduled for five days starting Monday, Oct. 2, 2017 with a pre-trial conference scheduled for Monday, Sept. 18, 2017 by 26th Judicial Circuit Judge Peggy Richardson. The new trial date was announced during a case review hearing held on July 3, 2017 in Lebanon.

The bodies of Jackson and Smith were discovered in the remains of their burned-out trailer home on Aug. 29. According to autopsy results, the women were murdered — stabbed multiple times — prior to the home being set on fire. In addition to both women being stabbed, Jackson also had injuries consistent with strangulation.

Endsley is charged with two counts of the Class A felony of first degree murder, two counts of felony armed criminal action, one count of the Class B felony of first degree burglary and one count of the Class C felony of second degree arson. He is being represented by Missouri Public Defender Karie Comstock while the case is being prosecuted by Camden County Prosecuting Attorney Michael Gilley.

The defendant is being held without bond after being arrested at his sister’s house out of town last year. Video surveillance pulled from locations near the mobile home park showed two vehicles leaving the area around the time of the fire. One of the vehicles matches the description of Danielle Smith’s car that was taken from the home, later found abandoned in Laclede County. Another vehicle in the video matches that of Endsley’s tan van.

Court records did not identify where the sister’s house was located but there was a reference to Endsley calling his sister around 4:30 that morning to tell her he was coming to her house. She told investigators she had not seen Endsley in two years and had not spoken to him since early spring of 2016.

The police believe the murders stemmed from an ongoing disagreement over Smith’s sexual orientation. Statements given by friends to investigators said she “lived a bisexual lifestyle.”

In court documents, witness statements indicated harassment from Endsley escalated over time.

On Aug. 28, 2016, the evening before Jackson and Smith were murdered and the fire was set, Endsley was allegedly shining a green light through the window of Jackson’s home while banging on her door, yelling for her to come outside. Jackson called a friend who later reported the conversation to investigators, describing Jackson as very upset.

That same evening, Endsley had allegedly been drinking and made threats during a conversation to another person that he would burn the trailer down “if I could get away with it,” referring to the women’s home. He was also heard making derogatory statements about Smith.

On Aug. 29 shortly after midnight, Endsley allegedly started texting Smith, sending her a total of five text messages in a matter of minutes, according to court documents, saying things like, “move” and “Haha popo is on my side...record all you want.”

Endsley allegedly texted his son shortly before the fire broke out and told him to “bring shine.” According to investigators, moonshine can be used as an accelerant. The court documents did not identify what was used as an accelerant in the fire.

The probable cause statement indicates two different areas of the mobile home showed signs of unidentified accelerant, one near each of the victims’ locations.