Harry Maier, a member of the Waters Edge Condo Association, told the Four Seasons Board of Trustees last week that his association has taken several steps to reduce the chance of a fire and has reached out to three large property management firms to encourage their cooperation.
A Village of Four Seasons condo complex is taking a proactive approach to improving the fire safety of its residents.
Harry Maier, a member of the Waters Edge Condo Association, told the Four Seasons Board of Trustees last week that his association has taken several steps to reduce the chance of a fire and has reached out to three large property management firms to encourage their cooperation. This is the second time Maier has updated the board on the association's improvements.
"We're not going to wait for government to deal with code compliance issues," he said.
He reported at the September Four Seasons meeting that Waters Edge has completed 204 electrical distribution panel inspections, tear downs and repairs following a recent electrical fire at the complex. He said most people don't think about how an electrical fire can be dramatic and damaging. He said his association has shared that work with other association management companies.
Waters Edge worked with Ameren Missouri and a local electrician in revamping electrical equipment in the condo units.
"When dealing with old equipment, that's something to consider," he said at the September meeting. He reiterated Ameren's involvement in the project.
"Again, I'd like offer a public thanks to Ameren for their assistance," Maier said. "They made it cost effective and time efficient."
Ameren "stepped up to the plate and did a terrific job" by supplying an engineer and working with the association's electrician, Maier explained.
Waters Edge has also upgraded its restrictive codes relating to dock electrical shocks by completing a major dock electrical breaker GFIC installations that he says exceed current codes and will exceed any new codes.
One of the more controversial suggestions under consideration by the Osage Beach Fire Protection District is to restrict the use of gas and charcoal grills on multi-family, multi-story decks. He said most units at Waters Edge have under-deck metal ceilings to help restrict the advancement of a fire caused by grills, cigarettes or other sources.
Waters Edge officials are working with the Lake Ozark Fire Protection District regarding the number and location of fire extinguishers, with the intent of increasing the number available in a unit and outside.
"We're also looking at requiring a fire extinguisher within a reasonable distance of grills on decks," Maier offered.
Increasing the required number of fire extinguishers within a unit is also under consideration, with officials leaning toward fire marshall recommendations of one in each bedroom, one in the hallway and one in the living area.
Owners are being given financial incentives for permanently shutting down wood-burning fireplaces and instead installing electric inserts.
Maier also said wood deck railings are being replaced with industrial strength metal railings.
The association also wants to work closely with the Village of Four Seasons so that if a problem with compliance arises there is an organized way to resolve an issue without having to go to court.
"We want our people to know that if something comes up, this is what they do to fix the problem," Maier explained.