Mill and Electric Generating Plant in Old Linn Creek. In 1841 the first general store was opened in the vicinity of the entrance to the cove of the Linn Creek and the Osage River.  In 1852 Joseph W. McClurg joined his brother-in-law in this valley on Linn Creek to begin development of what would become a well-known and important supply warehouse business that encompassed many aspects of trade.