A new Osage Beach Elementary School is being constructed at the location on Nichols Rd. near Sycamore Creek Golf Course as one of the projects being funded by a no-tax-increase bond issue in the Camdenton R-III School District in April 2013.
What it is
A new Osage Beach Elementary School is being constructed at the location on Nichols Rd. near Sycamore Creek Golf Course as one of the projects being funded by a no-tax-increase bond issue in the Camdenton R-III School District in April 2013. Curtiss Manes Schulte, Inc. of Eldon is the general contractor for the 81,845 square foot school. Due to the terrain of the five-acre site, the lower level of the school will be built into the side of a hill to be more cost effective.
Excavation has been ongoing throughout the winter and into the spring. According to Camdenton R-III Superintendent Dr. Tim Hadfield, crews have hit more rock at this site than at the elementary school project in Sunrise Beach. With the rock, there has been some demolition work including blasting. There has also been a lot of tree removal and rough grading work done. Despite the tough landscape, workers have made good progress at the site since the groundbreaking ceremony Nov. 13, 2013, says Hadfield. The topsoil has also been stripped and stockpiled, and they have also been working on erosion control and storm drainage.
Overall, Hadfield says crews have been doing a terrific job of getting the site prepared for construction. Getting the footings and the rest of the concrete poured should be coming soon, depending on spring weather. A construction committee review April 1 showed the project to be on schedule to open to students by August 2015.
About the project
• The school overall will provide classroom space for four sections of each grade level up to fourth grade.
• There will also be rooms for special instructional needs such as special education, reading recovery, speech, ELL and title programs.
• Art and music rooms, computer and conference rooms, media center, new gym, performance area and expanded cafeteria and kitchen are part of the plans as well.
• Outdoors there will be a new playground area with part hard and soft surface space.
• Contracted amount for construction and renovation is $12,902,314.
• Costs for architectural, engineering, materials testing and printing work were around $785,000.