It’s that time again — that period in between tour legs when everything seems eerily quiet on the Springsteen front. We can’t help but wonder what may be looming just beyond the horizon: A new album announcement? A full 2014 tour that brings Bruce back to U.S. shores? An “Other Band” reunion? (Shane Fontayne is still waiting for the phone to ring.)
Meanwhile, there are any number of Springsteen-related distractions to occupy yourself with — not the least of which is this spectacular cover of “The River” by The Unusual Suspects (and friends) of Waterford, Ireland, released to raise funds for the families of four Irish fishermen who died in a fishing tragedy in June. It’s a fairly straightforward cover, but somehow manages to capture the song’s tragic underbelly while avoiding the charity-single cheesiness that tends to come when artists trade verses as they go along. Grab it on iTunes/ie.
Fast Tube by Casper
Also on the Springsteen radar in recent weeks:
• Details on the “Legendary E Street Fans” t-shirts on sale for a great cause.
• Rolling Stone: “15 Insanely Great Bruce Springsteen Songs You’ve Never Heard.” Never???
• Heartbreaking version of “Hearts of Stone” by Bridget of the Bridget and Bruce blog.
• Missed the Human Rights Now concerts in 1988? See highlights on DVD with this anniversary release.
• Why don’t more towns hold Baby Bruce Springsteen Look Alike Contests?
• Springsteen speeded up sounds like Dolly Parton. And why wouldn’t he?
• Hannah of the Burgers and Bruce blog tells us how to cope with the post-concert Bruce Blues. (We’ve had them in the U.S. for a while!)
• The new Jake Clemons page is live! (Complete with a preview of his new single.)
• It was bound to happen: Springsteen is apparently now on Instagram. #swag #yolo #food #awesome #follow #like #love #tagsforlikes