This week (August 5-11) is Farmer's Market Week.
USDA has a great webpage on why you should shop at a Farmer's Market. Watch their video to learn about the benefits of buying fresh, nutritious, delicious and locally grown foods.
Here are a few of their reasons why you should shop at a Farmer's Market.
1. Farmer's Markets are easy to find. Use the USDA Farmer's Market search to find one near you.
2. You can try a new fruit or vegetable. Lesser known fruits/veggies are sometimes offered at Farmer's Markets, so use that as an opportunity to try a new one!
3. Buy foods and see how they fit with Choose MyPlate. Create a healthy plate with tasty foods!
4. Farmer's Markets can be important anchors for communities. Meet local farmers, learn about local produce, and support local businesses.
5. Fresh fruits and vegetables are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients. These substances boost health in many ways.
6. Freshly picked ripe fruit is at peak quality. Flavor and nutrition are highest at this time.
7. You are supporting local farmers and businesses. Buying local is always a good idea.
What about food safety at the Farmer's Market? You can find more about Farmer's Market food safety from this resource.
USDA Farmer's Market