For lake locals, one lake festival is a must-see each year. The Dogwood Festival began in 1950 and has now become a tradition.
Each year a grand marshal is chosen for the coveted role to lead the Dogwood parade throughout downtown Camdenton. This year, retiring mayor Dennis North was chosen for the job.
North has been mayor for four years and has fond memories of the Dogwood Festival.
"I think I went to everyone of them," he said. North recalls even going to the first Dogwood Festival held in 1950 when he was a child.
North has lived in Camden County most of his life and has participated in the Dogwood Festival in various ways. He and his wife have ridden horses in the parade in past years and his youngest daughter was crowned Miss Dogwood one year.
North will continue his role as mayor until the next alderman meeting when John McNabb will be sworn into office.
Five Dogwood events not to miss...
1. Fine Art Display [April 16 to April 20] 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. – First National Bank
2. April 19- 20-Carnival, 5-10 p.m. – Middle School Parking Lot, S. Bus. Hwy 5
[$20 Wrist Band from 5 –9 p.m.]
3. April 20- Dogwood Festival Parade, 10 a.m. – Downtown Camdenton
4. April 20-Dog Contest [cutest, ugliest, etc.], 3 p.m. -Middle School Pk Lot
5. April 20- 5K Run/Walk Into Awareness 7 p.m. – Bob Shore Stadium