The American Red Cross Heart of Missouri Chapter is assisting a family of four in Sunrise Beach after a blaze Monday afternoon destroyed their home.
Shortly after 3 p.m. March 25, the Sunrise Beach Fire Protection District was dispatched to a house fire in the 300 block of Crawford Drive. The first units arriving on scene found a single family home well involved in fire, according to a press release from the SBFPD.
A resident at home when the fire occurred was able to escape on their own.
With mutual aid from Gravois and Mid County fire protection districts, Sunrise Beach was able to bring the fire under control in less than 30 minutes, the press release states.
The home was a total loss.
One firefighter was transported to Lake Regional Medical Center for a back injury but has since been released.
The cause of the fire has been listed as accidental by the Sunrise Beach Fire Marshall, assisted by the State Fire Marshall's Office.
The Heart of Missouri Red Cross met with the family and provided financial resources for them to meet their immediate emergency needs with the purchase of food, clothing and a two-night motel stay.
Family members also received comfort kits, which contain personal hygiene items, and referrals to local partner agencies.
For more on the charitable mission of the Red Cross, visit www.redcross.org.
The Sunrise Beach Fire Protection District reminds residents to have and maintain working smoke alarms throughout the home. Roughly two-thirds of home fire deaths occur in residences with no smoke alarms or no smoke alarms, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Here are some tips from the NFPA on smoke detectors.
• Install smoke alarms inside every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.
• Larger homes may need additional smoke alarms to provide enough protection.
• For the best protection, interconnect all smoke alarms so when one sounds they all sound.
• An ionization smoke alarm is generally more responsive to flaming fires and a photoelectric smoke alarms is generally more responsive to smoldering fires. For the best protection, both types of alarms or combination ionization and photoelectric alarms (also known as dual sensor alarms) are recommended.
• All smoke alarms should be tested at least once a month using the test button.
• Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.