At approximately 9:10 p.m. Feb. 18, officers and medical personnel responded to a local motel reference an unresponsive 33-year-old white male. Upon arrival of emergency personnel, it was determined that the victim was deceased.
At approximately 9:10 p.m. Feb. 18, officers and medical personnel responded to a local motel reference an unresponsive 33-year-old white male. Upon arrival of emergency personnel, it was determined that the victim was deceased. He and a female companion had purchased over 52 cans of a dust buster aerosol product over a three day period from a near by store. The cans were found in the room and were empty. The high from huffing is short lived, 15 to 30 seconds, and must be repeated several times a day to achieve the desired effect.
For years, we educated people about the results and the illegal use of inhalants and apparently, it is time to revisit the topic. Simply put, inhalants are toxic chemical vapors. Sniff, huff or inhale these chemicals and you can easily damage your brain — or shut it down forever. It is like playing Russian Roulette! You do not know if that next misuse of an inhalant will kill you, leave you blind, brain damaged or deaf. Chronic use can also lead to Lung, Heart, Liver, Kidney, Muscle and Nerve damage. All inhalants can cause, “Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome.” This is due to a sudden and unexpected disturbance of the heart’s rhythm.
All businesses that sell any form of inhalant, (spray paint, glue, paint thinners, white out, aerosol dust busters, canned whipped crème, etc.), should place those items in the stores where they can be closely monitored and the purchases limited. Be suspicious of those who come into your business for the sole purpose of purchasing inhalants. Contact local authorities if you suspect inhalant abuse. It is a crime to be under the influence of an inhalant.
Autopsy results have not yet been received.