Sunrise Beach firefighters were busy over the weekend with three residential fires.
Two of the dwellings were total losses and the third was heavily damaged. No injuries were reported.
On Saturday, Nov. 17, Sunrise Beach was called to what was initially reported as a dryer fire at a home on Osage Place, off Lake Rd. 5-39.
Follow-ups reports indicated that the home was on fire, according to Sunrise Beach Fire Chief Dennis Reilly.
The first arriving unit found fire showing from the laundry room windows, he said, and the fire extended into an adjoining bedroom and down the hallway.
Firefighters quickly got a line on the fire and were able to stop the spread.
The cause of the fire is believed to have been the dryer, Reilly said.
This blaze was also a reminder of the importance of smoke detectors.
According to Reilly, there were no working smoke detectors in the home, and several people were asleep.
"If someone hadn't been up and realized that the house was on fire, this could have been a very tragic event," said Reilly.
Another fire Nov. 17 destroyed a home on Gray Fox Run near the Hurricane Deck Bridge.
It is believed to be an accidental fire that started on the back deck, according to Reilly.
It appears the occupants tried to fight the fire themselves first before calling for help, he said.
By the time, firefighters arrived the house was well involved in fire, according to Reilly, and will be a total loss.
A fire boat from Mid County Fire Protection District was used as the water source to fight the blaze as there are no hydrants in the neighborhood.
On Sunday, Nov. 18, the yurt along Hwy. 5 at 116 Maplewood Center Lane in Sunrise Beach also burned down.
Initial reports indicated the possibility of victims trapped, according to Reilly, but a later search of the property revealed that there was no one in the structure.
First arriving units found the temporary dwelling well involved, he said.
They went into service with "heavy water lines" and placed the fire under control within 10 minutes of arrival.
According to Reilly, the blaze is believed to have been caused by a space heater. It has been ruled an accidental fire.
The SBFPD reminds citizens to use portable heaters in a safe manner.
Never place a portable heater in the vicinity of combustibles and never leave a portable heater unattended, Reilly said.