Think before you flick that cigarette butt out the window.

With the area in a severe drought and intense heat and dryness continuing, a local fire official is warning people to be cautious about this simple act and dispose of smoking materials properly.

In other words, do not flip cigarette butts out a car window and into the grass.


Think before you flick that cigarette butt out the window.
With the area in a severe drought and intense heat and dryness continuing, a local fire official is warning people to be cautious about this simple act and dispose of smoking materials properly.
In other words, do not flip cigarette butts out car windows.

The Sunrise Beach Fire Protection District responded to a natural cover fire this afternoon, Friday, July 27, around 2:30 p.m. along Route MM between the Village Mart and Woodrows.

A cigarette butt lay where they believe the fire started, according to Fire Chief Dennis Reilly.
"There's no doubt that it was caused by discarded smoking material," says Reilly. "It's doesn't take much right now. A cigarette butt is enough."

Firefighters were able to contain the fire before it spread into the nearby wood line, according to Reilly, helped by the cliffs that abutted the roadway and a trail on one side that allowed a truck to get on the other side of the fire.

"It had us jumping for about 10 minutes, but if it would have gotten into the wood line, we really would have a problem on our hands," he says.

Eleven personnel and six apparatus responded to the scene.

Reilly cautioned people to be careful about discarding cigarette butts because they could easily lead to fire. The next time it could be a much more substantial blaze than this one, he says.