Among all the chatter, and warnings, arm saving, meetings and news stories about the electrocution-related deaths of late, the Village of Four Seasons took decisive action to protect its residents.
Now, that’s how you step up to the plate.
The Village announced last Wednesday night at its regular monthly meeting that on a first-come, first-served basis it will provide inspections of residents’ GFI systems. If a problem is found, the homeowner will be left a checklist of issues and will be urged to seek professional, licensed, certified electrical help. If a serious safety hazard is discovered, the Village will work with Ameren Missouri to have electricity shut off to the dock.
Again, that’s how you take responsibility. Sure, some people will get their feathers bent, their toes stepped on or their feelings hurt, but it’s a small price to pay for possibly saving a life or debilitating injury. I applaud the Village’s swift and, again, decisive decision.
Residents of the Village should feel comfort that the people charged with managing their sales tax dollars have their safest interests in mind.
Laird points out the Village was also the first to install storm warning signs, and one of its residents ? Ranita Jones ? has led the charge to coordinate a disaster response effort.
Not far behind, fire districts ? at least some, according to a news release ? are also providing a dock inspection service. Good for them. Sadly, these kinds of decisions are often made in reaction to a disaster.
What’s commendable from the Village’s perspective that it’s the first incorporated community that serves the lake to step up. Others, I’m guessing, are fearful of litigation.
It’s a matter of priority.