|
|
The Lake News Online
  • Nearby dock not "ground fault protected" in lake electrocution deaths

  • The dock near where a young brother and sister were electrocuted in the lake Wednesday was not "ground fault protected," said Troop F Sgt. Paul Reinsch of the Missouri State Highway Patrol, causing electricity from devices on the dock to travel into the water.


    • email print
  • »  RELATED CONTENT
  • The dock near where a young brother and sister were electrocuted in the lake Wednesday was not "ground fault protected," said Troop F Sgt. Paul Reinsch of the Missouri State Highway Patrol, causing electricity from devices on the dock to travel into the water.
    Reinsch said the electricity possibly came from a boat lift on the dock. It also could have come from a pump used to power a water slide children used.
    Alexandra Anderson, 13, and Brayden Anderson, 8, both of Ashland, Mo. died of electrocution July 4 after receiving an electrical shock as they swam at the 6.5 mile marker of the Gravois Arm.
    Adults in the area removed the siblings from the water and conducted CPR before emergency personnel arrived.
    Both were pronounced dead upon arrival at Lake Regional Hospital.
    What is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter:
    GFCIs are designed to prevent electrical shock by breaking the circuit when there is a difference in the currents in the hot and neutral wires. The advantage of a GFCI is that it can detect small amounts of electricity (that your fuse or circuit breaker can’t) and effectively turn off the circuit to avoid potential dangers.
    GFCIs are required by building code for outlets in bathrooms, kitchens and the exteriors of buildings.
    Editor's NOte: A previous version of this story listed the name "Samantha Anderson," when it is Alexandra Anderson. The Lake Sun apologizes for the error.

      calendar