Three people swimming in the lake near a dock were lucky to survive electrocution Sunday.
According to a press release from the Gravois Fire Protection District, firefighters were called to a residence on Staley Hollow Drive near Laurie around 9:39 a.m. May 27 for a report of an electrocution near a dock.
Upon arrival, Gravois personnel reportedly found three female patients suffering from effects of electrocution and transported the individuals to the hospital for treatment.
It was quick actions by others present at the time that that prevented fatalities in the incident, according to Gravois officials.
It was reported to district personnel that the electricity was disconnected, the victims were removed from the water, and CPR was administered to one patient, according to the press release.
All three patients were conscious and responsive upon arrival of firefighters, the press release states, but this was a "prime example" of the dangers associated with electricity on docks.
This dock was reportedly older, permitted prior to the implementation of inspection regulations requiring electrical inspections of new docks, relocated docks and modifications to docks.
This dock reportedly had no GFI breakers on the supply to the dock, no disconnect at the shoreline and the ground from the dock to shore was insufficient, according to the press release.
"It is critical that dock owners take the responsibility to have a qualified electrician perform work
on docks and to see that all available electrical safety devices are installed and operational on
their docks along with all work being performed to the established standard," the press release states. "The standards currently in place for dock electrical systems were implemented to reduce the risk from electrocution and should be complied with. It is sad when this type of preventable accident threatens the lives of people when they came here to enjoy their family and the recreational attraction of the Lake of the Ozarks."