Last Friday night (Feb. 18), my husband and I enjoyed dinner out at City Grill. Upon our return to where we were staying in Osage Beach, we discovered my 20 pound Lhasa mix had consumed 6 ounces or more of chocolate.


Last Friday night (Feb. 18), my husband and I enjoyed dinner out at City Grill. Upon our return to where we were staying in Osage Beach, we discovered my 20 pound Lhasa mix had consumed 6 ounces or more of chocolate. Knowing chocolate is lethal to dogs I did a Google search for help and information. Everything advised/stressed immediate vet care. I had no idea who to call and began looking for a 24-hour vet clinic. With the help of my son, who is more computer savvy than myself, I called the only close local vet that had an after-hours  emergency number. At 8:41 p.m. I called the number and left a brief message. In six minutes, I received a return call from Dr. Tom Williams.  He was very calm and told me what to do to rid my beloved dog of the toxic chocolate. He was very patient with my distressed state and assured me if I got the “chocolate out of her tummy” she would be OK. I proceeded to follow Dr. Williams' precise directions and my little dog began to be rid of the chocolate.

Saturday, I wanted to pay for the phone consultation and to thank Dr. Williams personally. In my opinion, he saved the life of my dog, Maggie. He was so gracious and even insisted I bring her in to his examining room in spite of the fact we didn't even have an appointment. He took the time to check Maggie over and to ask of her well being. Further discussion included our hometown and the fact he was very familiar with our area of Kansas City.

I am the owner of one other rescue dog besides Maggie. Needless to say, when we reside here full time, I already know they will be under the care of Dr. Williams in addition to when we are here commuting.

Dee Cole, Kansas City