Course layout glitch caused two west side marinas “an inconvenience”

From the perspective of the Missouri Water Patrol and the fire districts, with the exception of a last-minute glitch with the race course, the 20th annual Shootout was a success.
After 19 years in the same location at the 21-mile marker, the move to the west side of the lake for the 2008 Lake of the Ozarks Shootout meant making some major changes.
There were a few problems with the layout of the course that caused a slight delay in getting the races started, according to Water Patrol Captain Matt Walz and Sunrise Beach Fire Protection District Chief John Suellentrop.
Getting the glitches worked out did require two area marinas along the race course to allow the Water Patrol to restrict access to and from their locations during their high-traffic times on Saturday and Sunday.
“We really appreciated the cooperation of Hi-Way Cove and 5-65 marinas,” Walz said. “With their help, we were able to make the adjustments necessary to ensure the safest course possible. We were only able to relay customers in and out about every 30 minutes, so it was definitely an inconvenience for them.”
Once that was taken care of, the race ran fairly smoothly. Walz and Suellentrop agreed it was a good location.
Suellentrop said the course held up well overnight from Saturday to Sunday. Races got underway on time for the second and final day.
The course itself began around the 34.5-mile mark just downstream from the Hurricane Deck Bridge.
It ran downstream from the bridge approximately 2 miles on the southwest side of the main channel to the 32.5-mile marker with a long straightaway. Because of the location, the course was protected from prevailing winds that often caused problems for drivers on the course at the previous location.
Suellentrop said there were no serious injuries or incidents reported. A few stitches and a couple of minor calls were about all the emergency crews were called on to handle.
Walz estimates boats anchored along the race course ran upwards of 5,000 during the races. Despite the size of the crowd, the Water Patrol reported few problems from the spectators.
“We had less than a handful of arrests late in the day, but nothing out of the ordinary,” Walz said.
Contact this reporter at